Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Friday 12 July 2024

Unveiled - 'Depeche Mode: Songs of Faith and Devotion'


This evening, at Unveiled in St Andrew's Wickford, I explored Christian influences in the music of Basildon band, Depeche Mode. All four of the original members were church-goers at or around the time the band was formed (mainly at St Paul's Methodist Church in Basildon but also, for Dave Gahan, Wickford Salvation Army). Because it was a significant part of their lives, themes and imagery from that time have regularly shown up in their songs. The main themes of Depeche Mode's music have been sex, love and religion, with those three often being intertwined.

At the time of the 'Violator' album, which included 'Personal Jesus', songwriter Martin Gore said: “I have this inherent longing to want to believe in something. And if I was pushed--no, I don’t even think I’d have to be pushed--I would say that I believe in God.” Later, in 2016, he was interviewed by US Pastor and Author Rob Bell. In that podcast he said: “I think I've always been interested in spirituality, and religions even.” “I was quite familiar with the Bible, and I used to read other religion's books, and I found that quite motivating when it came to writing songs.” “I've never followed a religion. Sometimes I envy people who do, because I feel that they have something that I never quite get to.”By the time of their most political album ‘Spirit’ released the following year, Gore was saying: “I’ve never been religious in any way, but a lot of my songs have dealt with spirituality and somehow we’ve lost our spiritual way at the moment.” “We need to find it quickly because for a start we’re going to reach a tipping point very soon when there won’t be a planet.”

Speaking about his song 'Kingdom', Dave Gahan has said: ‘“Kingdom” from ‘Hourglass’ “is very much about the idea that there is something beyond this existence here that I do firmly believe in, and kind of yearn to feel more of.” “I think the song is about – again – I am questioning my beliefs. Do I believe in God? Is there a God? If there is, is He ashamed of us? What is my place? How can I become in my life, and not be afraid of it? What is it I’m afraid of? I don’t know. All these questions, I ask. And so “Kingdom” is like this fantasy or idea. This place is here, it’s here all the time. But I choose often to not notice it. I choose to take my own will back and be in charge. Then I always end up feeling lonely and disappointed.” 

Gore and Gahan would seem to be in a similar place spiritually; wanting to explore religious themes and questions, reaching out to something beyond themselves without being entirely sure what that something is and without wanting to commit to a particular religion. Gahan, in particular, has highlighted busyness, noise and self-control as factors that limit ability to respond spiritually to what is beyond us. In their music, they are essentially seeking to live the questions, rather than provide answers. And their music is all the more powerful for that!

The tracks we listened to as part of the talk were 'Blasphemous Rumours', 'Personal Jesus', 'Soul With Me', 'Kingdom' and 'Presence of God'. One of Dave Gahan's cousins attended and talked about growing up with Dave, including attending Wickford Salvation Army.

The Unveiled programme for the Autumn includes:
  • 13 September (7.00 pm) – Trials & Tribulations – Exhibition viewing evening. Meet John-Paul Barrett, see his exhibition and hear him interviewed. This Leigh-on-Sea based artist creates modern interpretations of classic iconographic images and scenes.
  • 27 September (7.30 pm) – Dave Crawford in concert. Popular local musician, Dave Crawford writes engaging/melodic songs in Americana/ Alt-Rock/Indie-Folk. He has performed at the Leigh Folk Festival, Pin Drop Sessions, and Music for Mind together with Kev Butler. This will Dave’s second concert at Unveiled, we have also enjoyed his powerful vocals and guitar at our Open Mic Nights.
  • 25 October (7.30 pm) – Eva Romanakova in concert. Eva Romanakova sings a wide genre of music; Musical Theatre, Arias, Pop, Jazz, Movie Songs and also Folk. She will sing music from various countries and different times.
More dates will follow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depeche Mode - Soul With Me.

No comments: