Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Monday 19 August 2024

Kate Carpenter: Kaleidoscope

Kate Carpenter's photographic work tells stories about family, memory and forgetting, blending metaphors in woodland landscapes with documentary, portrait and archival imagery. Much of it is rooted in her experience of caring for her grandmother, aunt and mother through the years of their dementia.

Her work has been exhibited in the UK and beyond, and has featured in various print and online publications, including her own recent photobook Kaleidoscope.

She has written of  Kaleidoscope:

"I am glad of the consolations of photography as I muddle my way through and reflect on what it all means for me. The very act of photography is an act of nostalgia; it has threaded its way down the generations of my family and is a homecoming of sorts. As for the other thread - of course, I wonder whether that is coming for me too. In response, I think, I’m drawn to the woods, to the uncanny, tangled fractals of the trees, where I can at once play with my fears and simultaneously keep them at bay.

Anticipating the losses and the forgetting to come, I photograph life in that house, in that home that we seek to keep happy for as long as we humanly can. With my mother’s blessing and companionship, I am exploring the family archive to tell a version of her story, and with it, a part of my own."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joni Mitchell - Little Green.

No comments: