Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Sunday 1 September 2013

Elmore Leonard RIP

Elmore Leonard wrote dialogue so well "you’d think it’s transcribed from real conversations, and he knows more about how to craft a living, breathing character out of thin air than God."

Leonard wrote that: "I grew up Catholic, went to Mass every day in grade school and high school; was taught by the Jesuits; spent two and a half years in the Navy during the war; returned, and was graduated from another Jesuit school, the University of Detroit. I even taught catechism in the ’60s, although I just told stories for the most part. "

He said in one interview: "I haven’t been to mass in probably 20 years. But I was in AA, you see. I’m still part of that because it worked. I haven’t had a drink since ’77 ... Higher power. That’s what keeps you straight. The higher power isn’t defined necessarily as God, but because I was brought up Catholic, it’s easy for me to do it that way."

Bandits and Pagan Babies both have a focus on issues of Catholicism and organized religion with more invested in their questions of doctrine and faith. Touch provides a wry take on fame and the miraculous when Juvenal, a former brother of a Catholic order in Brazil who now helps alcoholics in a Detroit rehabilitation centre, performs a miracle cure on a woman who has been beaten by her husband. The story contrasts the love Juvenal finds with the business and church zealots who seek to exploit his gift.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Grohl - Touch.

No comments: