Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Friday 22 January 2010

9 songs from 2009

Yesterday's post on the Good Letters blog was on nine songs from 2009 that had impacted the writer. It wasn't a meme but I thought I'd come up with my own version nonetheless. Here goes with the songs I've most enjoyed in 2009:
  • 'Epistomology' - M Ward: 2009 was the year that I got into M Ward (late as ever!) via Hold Time. Good humoured lyrics and tunes with a core of seriousness as in this track where finding God or a girl is a matter both of luck and judgement.
  • 'The Right Place' - Monsters of Folk: Discovering M Ward led on to checking out the Monsters of Folk album because of his involvement with Conor Oberst, Yim Yames and Mike Mogis. On a God-bothered album, this somewhat surreal country track questions whether we are where God wants us to be.
  • 'The Beautiful Axe' - Woven Hand: More intense, gothic Christianity couched in King James English and picturing Christ cutting at the roots of sinful humanity from David Eugene Edwards.
  • 'Carry Your Cross' - Michael McDermott: Beautiful piano ballad of resolve and commitment - "I'd take your doubt and fear when trouble's looming near."
  • 'Moment of Surrender' - U2: Stunning ballad dealing with the insight that profound change can be occurring for an individual completely unnoticed by those around them.
  • 'Black Swan Song' - Athlete: Loved Athlete at Greenbelt and this song of readiness for and reunion in death touches all sorts of vulnerabilities in my soul.
  • 'Take Your Time' - Al Green: Incredible melding of voices in this wonderful duet with Corinne Bailey Rae from Lay It Down.
  • 'No Cover Up' - Duke Special: Again, I really enjoyed the Greenbelt gig. My brother-in-law gave me Songs From The Deep Forest and it took me quite a while to get it; now that I have this plea for honesty is my favourite.
  • 'I Feel A Change Comin' On' - Bob Dylan: The ever restless Dylan speaksinging his concise, comedic tale of change in the darkest part of the night just before the dawn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Rawlings Machine - To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High).

1 comment:

elev8 said...

Sports can really help ones stamina, agility and best of all your health so basically, in doing sports you can going best health status you could have wanted and maintain it by having fun with any sport available.Athlete-Care