Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Saturday 17 November 2007

Come, rise with me

Yesterday my Mum, sister and I spoke again with the Consultant who is overseeing my Dad's treatment. He explained that, as they anticipated, Dad has not shown any signs of returning to consciousness. As a result, the kindest thing for Dad is not to seek to prolong his life through active treatment but instead to allow his life to end naturally and to make that end, when it comes, as peaceful as possible. Having said that, because Dad's heart rate and breathing are relatively stable, that natural end to his life, while it could occur at any time, will not necessarily be immediate.

In one sense this is no more than we have known all along but the past two weeks have been an opportunity to see whether there was any prospect of a return to consciousness. We have understandably hoped that there would be and so to be faced again with the reality of Dad's situation has been hard for us. As always, we greatly value your prayers for us and for Dad at this time.

Today Mum and I held a short service preparing Dad for death (although his death could still be some time away), anointing him and commending him to his Lord and saviour. On the way home I listened to the poignant words of When All Around Has Fallen by Delerious?:

"When all around has fallen, your castle has been burned
You used to be a king here, now no-one knows your name
You live your life for honour, defender of the faith
But you've been crushed to pieces and no-one knows your pain

Come, come, lay your weary head, be still my friend
Come, rise, I'll place my sword upon your shoulder
Come, rise with me

When tomorrow has been stolen and you can't lift your head
And summer feels like winter, your heart is full of stone
Though all your hopes have fallen, your skin is now you're only armour
Wear your scars like medals, defender of the faith

Come, come lay your weary head, be still my friend
Come, rise, I'll place my sword upon your shoulder
Come, come lay your faithful head, be still my friend
Come, rise with me"

-------------------------------------------------------

The Call - I Still Believe.

No comments: