Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Saturday 22 March 2014

How we free ourselves from our past errors

The Guardian has an excellent piece today using an extract from Desmond Tutu's latest book which describes from his personal experience how difficult but also how necessary forgiveness actually is:

"I realise how difficult the process of forgiving truly is. Intellectually, I know my father caused pain because he himself was in pain. Spiritually, I know my faith tells me my father deserves to be forgiven as God forgives us all. But it is still difficult. The traumas we have witnessed or experienced live on in our memories. Even years later they can cause us fresh pain each time we recall them ...

When we are willing to let down our defences and look honestly at our actions, we find there is a great freedom in asking for forgiveness and great strength in admitting the wrong. It is how we free ourselves from our past errors. It is how we are able to move forward into our future, unfettered by the mistakes we have made."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elton John - Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word.

No comments: