Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Monday 24 May 2021

Artlyst - Louis Carreon: Sampling Art History

My latest interview for Artlyst is with Louis Carreon. With a background in tagging, rapping, skateboarding and surfing, Californian-born Carreon is a street artist who is currently sampling art history, and its religious iconography in particular. Inspired by Hip Hop, Carreon riffs off imagery appropriated from the likes of El Greco, Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Peter Paul Rubens and Michelangelo Merisi Caravaggio to disrupt and re-present images of the greats in ways to which young people can relate:

'After years of trial and tribulations and many downfalls, redemption was my only Salvation. Truly at that time believed I had to be in pain to produce, to write poetry and to paint. I didn’t know myself and I didn’t believe I could create while working on positivity, health and wellness and a positive future. So as redemption is tattooed across my chest, the story of redemption is what gives me the light and encouragement to give it all to God and leave it out of my hands and to ride this light on this narrative. I used to be a loser now I’m choosing to win...

I am a student always, keeping it humble. I have had God work in my life and am a true believer in prayer. My prayers do come true but in ways that are different from what I expect, meaning that I have to figure out the difference. I am a different person every day, especially with art, being susceptible to energy and change. Art is a current that comes through people’s bodies in movement and the visualization of memories. Some people can only paint their life or what comes through their bodies and memories. For me, crawling out of addiction and crime, redemption was the only story that had authenticity. I create things that take away pain and give peace. Painting is my redemption and keeps me alive.'

As an exclusive to Artlyst the interview features the first full image of Carreon's new and first sculpture 'David Reincarnated', an 8 ft high, 4,000 lb. contemporary reworking of Bernini’s David in marble, with David dressed for the streets of LA. This piece is both evidence of contemporary religious inspiration and a challenge to museums and galleries to acknowledge that reality.

My other pieces for Artlyst are:

Interviews -
Articles -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Marley - Redemption Song.

No comments: