Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Wednesday 4 March 2009

I was there when ...

I arrive at seven for the concert start
only to hear the final bars of the closing song,
the thank you’s and farewells.
The crowd streams away to watch, like me,
the performance on the red button
in the comfort of our own homes
where the sound and sightlines
are perfect
and the experience repeatable
on the press of a button.
But it was the unrepeatability
of the live event
that drew us, drew me,
to Regent Street that night,
even knowing I would not,
could not,
be there ‘in time’
but hoping nevertheless
to experience something
unique and unrepeatable;
to know and to say
that I was there when ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

U2 - Vertigo.

4 comments:

Fr Paul Trathen, Vicar said...

Hey, at least you caught the end of it!!!...

Jonathan Evens said...

I know - I'm an ungrateful wretch, aren't I???

Philip Ritchie said...

Watched it on T.V. which somehow seems fitting with U2 given that Satellite of Love is one of their favourite covers. Did you see The Culture Show special? The new album is definitely a grower - first time through I wasn't sure but bit by bit its getting under my skin which means it could be a classic.

Jonathan Evens said...

Yeah, I did see the Culture Show interview and I really like the new album which I think is a vast improvement on the previous one. Will probably post something on it when I get the time.