Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Sunday 13 December 2009

Dramatized nativity service

Shepherds discuss the overcrowding in Bethlehem

Gabriel

Gabriel appears to the shepherds

The shepherds kneel before the manger

The wise men before Jesus

Gabriel warns Joseph

Mary's monologue
This morning's service at St John's Seven Kings incorporated a dramatised nativity into the service. The following is Mary's monologue from Act 4:
You know what would have happened if it had been three wise women instead of men, don’t you? They would have asked for directions, arrived on time, helped deliver the baby, cleaned the stable, made a stew, and brought nappies and a Moses basket as gifts!

But life rarely works out as you expect or would like. Take your birth as an example. I was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit while I was only pledged to be married to Joseph. His immediate thought was to divorce me and although God has spoken to him as he spoke to me, both you and I face a future of gossip, rumours and insult from those who will think of you as illegitimate.

All this and more I have pondered in my heart. The gifts of the Magi hold portents I think for your future. The bitter perfume of myrrh breathes a life of gathering gloom. I see myself sorrowing and sighing before a stone-cold tomb; death, a sword that pierces my heart.

But I accepted all this when I accepted the challenge that the angel Gabriel brought to me from God. “You will be with child and give birth to a son. The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So, the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob for ever; his kingdom will never end.”

That’s you, my little one! For having you, I am more than glad that I said yes to God. “I am the Lord’s servant,” I said, “may it be to me as you have said.” Amen, may it be so. I accept the trauma, the gossip, the exile, the insults; all that I might bear you my love, all that the promised Saviour might come, all that we might be saved from our sins, all that God might be one with us.

So, in peace I pray. Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.

In this holy night you Jesus, God’s Son, our Saviour, was born in human flesh. Renew your people as your Body, the Body of Christ. Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.

In this holy night there was no room for you in the inn. Protect with your love those who have no home and all who live in poverty. Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.

In this holy night I, in the pain of labour, brought you to birth. Hold in your hand all who are in pain or distress. Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.

In this holy night the angels sang, ‘Peace to God’s people on earth.’ Strengthen all those who work for peace and justice. Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.

In this holy night shepherds in the field heard glad tidings of great joy. Give grace to all those who share the good news of sins forgiven. Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.

In this holy time magi came from the east to worship you. Grant to all people everywhere the spirit of adoration. Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.

As we face exile and live in the shadow of death, look in mercy on all who are powerless and all who pass through death in the hope of your coming kingdom. Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.

As we share this life of home and family, protect our families, our neighbours and the communities of which we are a part. Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.
My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers. Glory to God in the highest and peace on earth to all on whom his favour rests. Amen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce Cockburn - Love Loves You Too.

No comments: