Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Monday 25 June 2018

Foyer Display: Ruth Hutchinson









‘Communication’
(‘Graffiti’ – work in process – and ‘No Graffiti’ - the final work)
by Ruth Hutchinson


St Martin-in-the-Fields is home to several commissions and permanent installations by contemporary artists. We also have an exciting programme of temporary exhibitions, as well as a group of artists and craftspeople from the St Martin’s community who show artwork and organise art projects on a temporary basis. One of the initiatives from this group is a changing display of work by the group members or artists linked to the group. Each month a different artist shows examples of their work, so, if you are able, do return to see the changing display.

Ruth Hutchinson came to England from Jamaica in 1959 to train as a nurse. Now in her active retirement she enjoys lots of artistic pursuits including her art and her poetry. She does lots of poetry with local groups. She is also a longstanding active member of the congregation at St Martin-in-the-Fields, one of the welcoming stewards’ team and a co-leader of The Archers. Her passion for the arts was ignited when she re-trained as a nursery nurse but really grew when she studied art after retiring in 2001.

‘Communication’ was an art college project. The sketchbook in the cabinet shows part of the considerable preparatory work required. Ruth explains: “I was and still am very interested in the environment and recycling. I feel that graffiti can be a good and a negative thing. A lot of graffiti is only about the person leaving their own mark. However, there are some wonderful pieces and I feel it is a very strong means of communication.”

Ruth studied the works of Tracey Emin, Jean Michael Basquiat, Keith Haring, Nicholas Ganz and Banksy to inform her work. She also researched ‘Communication’ in the widest possible sense, looking at hand gestures, facial expressions, colour, sign language, confusion or communication, how babies communicate from birth, public signs and tactile communication.

“I found it immensely interesting doing the research and being at college with younger people. I think the art work brings out the best in me. ‘Graffiti’ involved mixing fabrics, mixing colours and using the shredder to shred tiny pieces, using whatever I could find around me to create the final outcome. This was really exciting.

For ‘No Graffiti’, because I also worked with the under 5’s, I was inspired to use colour and to make things out of nothing. Having an interest in the environment around me and recycling I was able to use whatever materials I could get my hands on to create the final piece. I have a particular interest in sign language and that’s why the hands in the final piece show its title.’

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staple Singers - Let's Do It Again.

No comments: