Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Thursday 20 September 2012

Charlie Mackesy: Ramshackle Exhibition

'Ramshackle Exhibition' by Charlie Mackesy is showing until Saturday 22nd September at Gallery 27, 27 Cork Street, London.

Mackesy says:


''I was born and bred in Northumberland in 1962, and spent most of my time running about the hills with sheep. I began drawing in the early 1980s in London. I didn't study art but just kept busy - working as a cartoonist for the Spectator magazine, as an illustrator for Oxford University Press, drawing ads for the daily papers and doing poster designs for delights such as Cockspur Rum.

My first show was in a pub in 1984. I've since been lucky or blessed enough to work with galleries in Edinburgh, New York and London and am continuing to do so ...

It seems, in retrospect, I find an issue which I work through - such as the Prodigal Son and Daughter, which can take two or three years to complete - making drawings paintings and bronze sculptures of the subject -until somehow it's over and I can move on ...

 I am cautious to explain what I think the work is saying for fear of taking away from you something you have seen and I have not. I could conclude by saying that life is precious and faith is a journey and sometimes art can give a small glimpse of these moments seen, and unseen. I think GK Chesterton put it better - 'At the back of our brains is a blaze of astonishment at our own existence. The object of the artistic and spiritual life is to dig for this sunrise of wonder’."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paradise - Stop And Think.

No comments: