Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Monday 14 January 2008

Faith & football

Elwin Cockett, the new Archdeacon of West Ham and Chaplain to West Ham United FC, will be speaking on faith and football at the Men's Breakfast to be held at St John's Seven Kings on Saturday 2nd February from 8.30am. There is an open invitation to hear Elwin and enjoy good food and conversation over breakfast.

So is God a West Ham supporter? Elwin seems to be sure that he is. 'Well, God cares about people, and football clubs are full of people, so I guess the answer must be 'yes'! Having said that, I have to accept that God cares about people whether they're Hammers fans, Spurs fans or even Man Utd fans.'

'I grew up in the East End in the 60s, in the era of Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters, so I could hardly help donning the claret-and-blue. Like many supporters, I started going to games in my teens, standing on the old North Bank, before I graduated to a Season Ticket. Of course, I had to give that up before I went off to theological college'.

It was while at college that Elwin met Andrew Wingfield-Digby, from Christians in Sport, who was acting as chaplain to the England cricket team at the time. It was through his encouragement that Elwin committed himself to praying for West Ham Utd and for the club's staff, players and fans. Three years later, he found himself appointed as the club's first chaplain.

So what does a chaplain do? "On one level, I do all the things that people associate with vicars. I've been privileged to take the funerals of a number of former players, like Alan Sealey and John Dick, and to be part of some important private moments within the 'West Ham family'. I've also shared in a lot of lighter moments, and enjoyed watching a fair bit of football along the way.

In the end, my role is to be a friend of the club, so I make sure that I get my face seen around the offices and training ground during the week, and not just on the big match days. It's surprising what topics of conversation come up. I never know what's coming, so I always pray that God will guide me whenever I go to Upton Park or the training ground."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

New Order - World In Motion.

No comments: