Wikio - Top Blogs - Religion and belief

Sunday 8 July 2007

Keep it simple / Travel light

Keep it simple. Travel light. These are the key messages that we took today at St John's from Jesus’ instructions to his disciples (see Luke 10. 1-20 and Mark 6. 7-29).

Why? To keep us focussed on our message and mission and to tread lightly on the earth as we do so. Gerard Kelly writes in Humanifesto, one of his prayer-poems:

"I want to be untouched by my possessions
instead of being possessed
by what I touch,
to test the taste
of having nothing to call mine,
to hold consumption’s cravings back,
to be content with luck or lack,
to live as well on water as on wine.

I want to spend myself
on those I think might need me,
not spend
all I think I need on myself.
I want my heart
to be willing to make house calls.
Let those whose rope is at an end
find in me a faithful friend.
Let me be known as one who rebuilds broken walls."

No comments: